Friday, April 25, 2008

Our Dad, the Superhero

I'm laying in a bed in Paris, TN, at the Paris Landing State Park listening to a storm pass over the lodge. I'm speaking in the morning to a men's retreat, and I'm hungry.


Being at this park makes me think of camping with Shane and Dad.


I'm not sure why, but Dad always liked to figure out new stories that would make Shane and me feel like he was some kind of superhero. Like that time when we went to Boonesboro, KY, and he had us believing there was an indian family watching us from across the water. I could have peed my pants all day and night just thinking about being scalped in my sleep!

Or, on the same trip, when he made us believe that he had some kind of sixth sense that allowed him super-directional senses. It was flat nuts! We looked up onto a ridge and, just like he said, there sat the primitive fort. Dad could have started flying and it wouldn't have impressed us any more than we were at that moment.

Good stuff.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very fine......

W S Mustain said...

lol your absolutely right like the time he acted like he was dead not moving his stomach up and down to show he was breathing... but we learned that trick... or how about on those cold winters days when he said, "I wonder who could keep their hand out the window the longest" while driving the van... Or the time we went camping and we got so scared of the stories he told us that we took out the seats in the van and slept. oh good times indeed

John said...

Those SURE were good days! I miss them a lot. But I am excited about our future, too.